7 Shot, 2 Trampled in Wichita Nightclub Shooting
Nine people were injured in a mass shooting at the City Nightz nightclub in downtown Wichita early Sunday morning.
What We Know:
- Seven people were shot and two others were injured after being trampled.
- No deaths have been reported.
- The victims range from 21 years old to 34 years old.
“We have to come together as a community and talk with our young people, in particular, about how resorting to gun violence is not the way to resolve a problem or issue,” Wichita Mayor Brandon Whipple said.
- One person is in custody, believed to be at least one of the shooters in the incident.
- Police had increased their presence in the area surrounding City Nightz prior to Sunday’s shooting.
- City and community leaders addressed the shooting during Sunday’s press conference.
“I know people are just fed up and tired of this,” Wichita Police Chief Joe Sullivan said.
- Police are asking anyone with video evidence to contact investigators.
- The shooting happened around 1 a.m.
- Police were already in the area when the shooting started.
- At least four guns were shot inside the nightclub.
- Police have seized multiple guns.
- The Kansas Bureau of Investigation will assist with processing firearms evidence.
- The streets and area around City Nightz will be closed while investigators process the scene.
This is the second mass shooting in Wichita in the past month and the 337th mass shooting this year. A mass shooting in Baltimore also occurred overnight.
This is a developing news story.