2 people are dead and 28 people injured in mass shooting at Baltimore block party
ALERT: (Baltimore) An 18-year-old woman and a 20-year-old man were killed and 28 others injured in a mass shooting at a Baltimore block party, officials said.
What We Know:
- An 18-year-old woman and a 20-year-old man were killed.
- 28 others were injured, 3 of them critically. 14 individuals were below the age of 18.
- The incident happened at a block party in the Brooklyn Homes area of Baltimore.
- Police have not released any information about suspects or a motive, but believe more than one shooter was involved. Local police are asking for any community members to provide information.
- Mayor Brandon Scott described the incident as a "reckless, cowardly act".
"This is a reckless, cowardly act that happened here and that has permanently altered many lives and cost two people their lives," said Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott.
- He urged anyone with information to come forward and help find the perpetrators.
- Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said his administration is in touch with local officials and ready to provide assistance.
"Maryland has had enough of watching gun violence continue to ravage our state and our nation," said Maryland Gov. Wes Moore.
- Nine people who were critically injured were stabilized at Medstar Harbor Hospital and transferred to Baltimore trauma centers.
- Ten other patients were treated and released from the hospital.
- Twelve patients are being treated at the University of Maryland Medical Center’s trauma center and four are being treated in its pediatric emergency department.
- Two patients in fair condition are being treated at Johns Hopkins Hospital.
This is the third mass shooting in July and one of 338 mass shootings in the US in 2023. This shooting in Baltimore highlights the need for stricter gun control laws.
This is a breaking news story. This story will be updated.